Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 7 Readings

Tips for different types of presentations

I have been to several presentations where the speaker is very knowledgeable on the topic, but not very interesting. If you can't present it well, half the audience will tune out with 30-60 minutes, which means no one is learning anything. But when you have a speaker who is knowledgeable and entertaining, the time flies by! The trick is to figure out how to make the presentation interesting so you hold every ones attention. In short, you are the expert, you can speak on the topic and give great information, but the audience is what matters. If you can't keep their interest, you might as well be speaking to a block wall.

3 comments:

Margarita said...

Give the audience something they can walk away with from the presentation, I agree. Our time is too valuable to spare!

Santa Barbara or Bust! said...

As I am reading the assigned articles in Dr. Christie's class, I am always trying to think about how this new found knowledge applies in my classroom. You spoke so eloquently about the importance of an interesting presenter. This is especially important if the material being presented leaves something to be desired. Here nor there, my point is that I can look into the big brown eyes (mostly) of my students and see whether or not they are "hooked" or not. This is painful to watch when a student teacher is simply dispensing information and is unaware that the students have tuned her out. Or painful to watch when I am standing in front of the room trying to teach a lesson and I can see it going down the toilet. It's important not only to keep your audience intrigued but to know when you have not done so and amend the situation as quickly and nonchalantly as possible!

Lydia Horstman said...

Many times the presenter is just trying to get through the presentation so the job's done. In cases like that it is obvious because we lose focus and are wishing it were over. I know my anxiety of presenting is because I don't want to be that person.