Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 4 Readings

Defining Multimedia. Multimedia, Copyright Law and Fair Use

Multimedia, is anything using a computer, pictures, movies, graphics as a type of communication.

Copyright is a little more difficult. The main rule to live by is to get permission from the original author, but when you can't there are several guidelines to follow on how much you are allowed to use. Never copy an entire book, but you can copy a chapter. If you are using the information for more than 1 semester, get permission from the author. If you are unsure how much you are allowed to use, make sure you find out what is allowed before you use anything.

6 comments:

Lydia Horstman said...

I like to rely on the "fair use policy." As an educator i think there is some flexibility, but when in doubt get permission.

Mr. Colcord's Blog said...

As a teacher it is really important to follow the laws to the letter. Someone recently told me that that a local school district was raided by the FBI because of copyright infringement. It turned out they were using software without the proper licensing agreements. I would be mortified if this were to happen at my school. :(

Kathleen said...

What I liked about the readings are the examples of letters. Both for permission and an apology should I inadvertently copy something without giving credits.....Hope I do not have to use the later

Margarita said...

The article, five ways to stay out of copyright trouble, was the most helpful to me. I'll always keep in mind now, "Where did this come from?" and "Give credit where credit is due."

Amanda Dahl said...

So basically when it concerns copyright...when in doubt, ask for permission. Oh, I see that Lydia has a similar comment. Media is definitely changing even when we are taking this class! It is exciting to know that we are learning the new tools to implement with our students to help bridge that gap between corporate America and the public school system.

kjmichael said...

The internet has truly complicated the issue of copyright, but I agree with Margarita's comment, "ALWAYS give credit where credit is due."

As an educator I have been very impressed with how generous authors and even Hollywood directors have been with granting permission to use their works in the classroom. My advice is if you want to use something, ask because the worst case is that the answer will be no. However, if you don't ask, for certain you will not G E T.

Again, not to be redundant, but ALWAYS give credit.